Terri Hult Searchmont 2010
10th Finglish trip July 2010 #20
The small town of Searchmont takes it's name in honor of T. C. Search. He was from Philadelphia and was the treasurer of the consolidated Lake Superior Company. The local sawmill was the livelihood of most of the residents. When the mill closed in the early 1990s, much of the population moved away.
Mr. and Mrs. Autio were the first immigrants to come to this country. In 1920 they moved to Wabos and opened a Finnish Co-op store in their home. Mrs. Hulda Autio was the manager of the store and it remained in operation until late 1932.
Terri Hult works at the Searchmont Trading Post. Her grandparents came from Finland, she examines her family history in Finland and in Canada. There is a Hult Road in Searchmont.
The Big Nickel Sudbury Ontario Canada