10th Finglish trip July 2010 #17
Most of the Finns interred on Sugar Island rest in the Finnish Cemetery on the Homestead Road, however a number of gravesites are located at the Holy Angels Cemetery, initially a Catholic Cemetery which have been used since 1891.
There is grave of Maria Fors (1862-1932) in the Finnish Cemetery on Sugar Island where the hammer and sickle emblem was forcibly removed from the headstone. According to local legend, there were several headstones from which the hammer and sickle were shot off.
Next The Wild Turkeys FinnGrandFest Sault Ste. Marie Ontario Canada