Finnish Golgotha Congregational Church Brooklyn 2009
9th Finglish trip October 2009 #4
The present day Brooklyn Baptist Church at 733 44th St. was formerly the home of the Finnish Golgotha Congregational Church of Brooklyn from 1920 until 1988. Originally it was build in 1915 by the Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Free Church. The Brooklyn Finnish Congregational Church was founded in 1912 by Frans Lehtinen and Johannes Väänänen and 20 other Brooklyn Finns.
The very first congregation was organized in Ashtabula, Ohio, in 1891. Almost simultaneously, similar churches were founded in populous Finnish centers in the New England area. Later, the movement spread to the midwest and went as far as Oregon and California.
Next Eric Aho´s Red Winter at DC Moore Gallery Manhattan New York USA
#FinnishGolgothaCongregationalChurch #Brooklyn #NewYork #BrooklynBaptistChurch #NorwegianEvangelicalLutheranFreeChurch #FransLehrinen #JohannesVäänänen #Ashtabula #Ohio #NewEngland #Oregon #California