5th Finglish trip July 2007 #29
In 1638, the Swedes established the colony New Sweden along the Delaware River in what is now Delaware, Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The primary purpose of the colony was to trade with the native Americans for beaver pelts. The colony lasted until 1655, when it was conquered by the Dutch. However, many Swedish colonists remained in the area.
Fort Christina was the first Swedish settlement in North America and the principal settlement of the New Sweden colony. Built in 1638 and named after Queen Christina of Sweden it was located one mile east of the present downtown Wilmington, Delaware, at the confluence of the Brandywine River and Christina River.
The Old Swedes Church was constructed in Wilmington, Delaware, in 1699. Old Swedes Church flourishes today as one of the oldest church buildings still in regular use for worship.
Next Mullica Hill New Jersey USA