Soo - Sault Ste Marie 2005
2nd Finglish trip August 2005 #12
The local Communist organization had a "Kesäkämppä", a Summer Camp on Lower Island Lake near Sault Ste Marie until the end of 1960s, now it is the Summer Camp of the Finnish Pentecostal Church of Sault Ste Marie in Ontario Canada. A bus full of kids has arrived to the Bible Camp, Mimmi Lajunen barbecues burgers, sun is shining and sauna is hot.
"Soo Saint Marie" or "Soo" is a border town, on the south bank of St.Mary's River is the U.S version of the town with the same name. Until 1855 the rapids of the river from Lake Superion to Lake Huron flew free, then the construction of Soo Locks started. First Finns came with other Europeans to the area, which was Ojibwe land. They called the area "Baawitigong", meaning "place of the rapids."
Algoma Steel works started operation in 1902, it employed thousands of immigrants. A Finntown was born near the plant in a part of Soo called Steeltown. There was a Finn Hall, a Co-op, Häyrinen Auto Sales, two bakeries, restaurants and a sauna.
Next Timmins, Porcupine, Kirkland Lake and Cobalt, Ontario
#Soo #SaultSteMarie #LowerIslandLake #FinnishPentecostalChurch #Ojibwe #StMarysRiver #AlgomaSteel #Steeltown